During 2006 two Sida International Training Programmes on Human Rights and Disability will be organised by SHIA. The first one will target Asian participants from the following countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, East Timor, India, Indonesia, Laos, Nepal, The Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam. The course will be held at Almåsa conference centre between the 8th and 19th of May 2006. The closing date for applying is November 15th 2005.
The second course will target participants from the MENA region- Middle East and Northern Africa from the following countries: Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen. The course will be held at Almåsa conference centre between the 4th and 15th of September 2006. The closing date for applying is March 15th 2006.
The programme aims at enhancing knowledge, develop methods and tools, and to provide a foundation for future networking and co-operation and will include:
- An overview of the existing Human Rights instruments and discussions on how these can be used to improve life conditions for persons with disabilities.
- An opportunity to exchange experiences and opinions concerning the drafting of the new UN “Convention on Disability” and the future role of the UN Standard Rules and the proposed additions.
- An analysis of Poverty Reduction Strategies and other multilateral programmes and how disability aspects can be included. Methods and skills needed to influence these processes. Discussions around poverty and human rights from a disability perspective.
- Exchange of experience of how persons with disabilities and their organisations can increase their participation in the development of policies.
- Introduction to Swedish disability policy, legislation and social services, including study visits to relevant Swedish authorities, institutions and organisations.
Issues such as gender, children and hiv/aids in relation with persons with disabilities will be included within all topics.
The programme is targeting participants from regional or national DPOs, government agencies and NGOs working in the area of Human Rights and disability. Persons with disabilities have been especially encouraged to apply.
The programme organiser is SHIA - the Swedish Organisations’ of Disabled Persons International Aid Association.